Friday 7 October 2011

Spiritual/Mental question: What is you?

The brain, of course, is you. It's all you are, and all that you will be. Your body can be long dead and gone, but if your brain is still around and can be sustained with nutrients, blood, and oxygen, you can still be alive.



However, at the same time, do we add part of our identity to the shell we exist in? What if yours was destroyed and your mind was put into another shell? Would your mind change as well, because you have lost part of what your mind has perceived as its identity? What if your new shell wasn't even human? What if your senses were altered due to the transfer; intensity of touch, smell, cone of vision? How much different will your mind change?
Spiritual/Mental question: What is you?
You know - as much as I like science-fiction, the more time that goes by in my life and the more I know about how the body works - I find that these sort of questions make for a great science-fiction novel, to consider one's existence.



It's really a bland-type of conversation, because it cannot happen. EVER.

When a brain is taken out from it's original place - there are SO MANY nerve processes, and chemicals that make it work that are lost and can never be repaired or replaced. It's an impossible procedure. The brain, believe it or not, is attached to your spine, it cannot exist without this %26quot;tail,%26quot; of nerve endings. Every nerve arm from the spine is responsible for a type of message, a conduit for chemical reaction, a support system for the proper function of the brain. Without these supporting instruments - the brain becomes useless.



Edit:

The brain needs more than oxygen, nutrients, and blood to survive. It needs stimulation, it needs a hospitable environment, it needs chemicals to encourage processing during stimulation...it's quite an impossible task.

(I'm being a nerd, I know)
Spiritual/Mental question: What is you?
I am that I am.
A set of specific limitations.
Well, amputees can feel like part of themselves is missing. Things that were easy to do might be difficult or impossible. But, still, your brain is mostly who you are.
very thought provoking
I would like to hear your justification for your opening presumption when there are perfectly valid and sensible arguments to indicate that concious is external and the brain a simple switching mechanism
IJR is IJr, and you're not. Simple.
Your premise that your mind is all that you are is wrong so your question makes no sense.
ok, but what about soul my sister?
I am more than just a brain. I am the body that encompasses it. I am the substances the body is made of. I am the soul that is the brain made of the substances of the body that encompasses my self.
I'm an atheist and a multidimensional being of light, a fallen star/angel who came here to enjoy the lusts of the material realm.



And in your sad machines

Youll forever stay

Desperate and displeased - with whoever you are

And you're a star
You are your perception of the world.



That being said, if your perception changes- perception being sensory input and your brain's ability to understand it- you would change to some extent.



However, you are also your /past/ perception of the world. So the inherently 'you' part of yourself might not change, maybe just for a long time, maybe forever.



Take into consideration the effects different hormone levels can have on your mood, thoughts, and actions. Any different body, regardless of its gender, would have intensely different hormone levels and cycles. If your senses were also affected you would experience the world in a totally new way, your brain might process your experiences in an entirely different way, and your perception of everything would change- changing you.



The part that is mostly inherently 'you' is your thought patterns based on your perception. Until that changes your experience of yourself will remain relatively similar. Remember how much you as a person have changed as you aged. I do not even feel embarrassed for stupid things I did when I was a young child because I am essentially not the same person. (Really, medically speaking, I am in no way the same person- I have probably replaced every cell in my body at least once by now.)
I am the 2009 model end product of BILLIONS of years of Evolution ... our parents made us ... there is NO god

religion is a scam
Technically, we are our mind and heart because either or both can die.

We only use 7-10% of our brain. Isn't that interesting?

The heart has to do with our values, emotions, etc. For example, She %26quot;broke my heart%26quot;. You feel pain in your chest.

Matthew 15:18 %26quot;However, the things proceeding out of the mouth come out of the heart, and those things defile a man. For example, out of the heart come wicked reasonings, murders,adulteries, fornications,thieveries,false testimonies, blasphemies.%26quot;

Every seven years we have totally different cells. Our perception is extremely interesting. The world is %26quot;as we say it is%26quot; . If I think the world is dangerous, it is because I will perceive all events, all stimuli through %26quot;those glasses%26quot; .So as a man thinketh, so is he. This is even deeper but space does not allow. WE ARE CONSTANTLY CHANGING!
Hey... you're stoned!
There is no essential %26quot;You%26quot;, independent from the rest of the natural world. Everything exists in a state of interdependence. The brain concocts the perception of an independent self as an heuristic to navigate through the world. %26quot;You%26quot; is everything in existence.
What is you?
You're wrong, dead wrong. We have a spirit and a soul, not just a body. When we die our spirits separate from our bodies. We get another body, glorious body if we go to heaven. Otherwise we live in eternal torment separated from God for all eternity. In order to get saved, you must seek the Lord with all your heart, and he will find you looking for him. Once the transaction is made, you are a born again child of God, and you no longer believe in the lies Satan has been feeding you day and night for your whole life.
what is I? I is confused about question. which one of us is high? i think it might be you or me; i don't know I'm not a mindreader. if i is you and you is i who is i? banana
I have thought of this much having lived thru 60's and all I think we all go down to that one small spark that is eternal and divine. I have seen both spirits and primarily the little spirit lights. It is the small fast go anywhere spirit lights I think is who we are. our soul our spirit I think is one and the same. I do not canno explain all the things with the spirit lights I was not good at math physics etc There is a time after study and life a %26quot;knowing%26quot; comes. when I was 7 I used to give my mother answers for many questions and she would ask how do you know and I would answer essentially the same way even after much time and learning I just know/feel it right. So much of life we have to take on faith/belief like if I cannot see past the series of blind curves is the road still there, or do I stop and make sure it is? we all just have to do the best we can as we go along life; and then ditto the next step.
The soul and or spirit is the mind or thought process. what we accumulate from senses and experiences from time of birth.



If you are truly only allowing scientific evidence then your other parts of the question are somewhat invalid since the brain can not be transplanted into another species for the nerve endings and blood would not be compatible.
Have you read 'the minds I? Composed and arranged by Douglas R Hofstadter and Daniel C Dennett. This could be interesting reading for you. I personally 'think' that we are spiritual energies that are enclosed in a physical form that allows our existence in this realm. But there is so much more that we can not even acknowledge on this level of being. Imagine that we are actually a shell that encompasses many living entities that are separate and as unique as you feel that you are. Makes the statement 'the body, a temple' an interesting subject.
This is a great question. Why? I never considered asking it myself.



Of course, this is religion and spirituality: So, when I think of this question, I think of Jesus Christ, who, after his death took on different bodies, yet remained the same wonderful person he was before he died John 20:11-`18 Luke 24:15-53.



The Bible speaks of a resurrection from the dead, If a person has been dead a number of years, she/he would have to be resurrected in a new body. I love what the bible says, we are in God's memory John 5:28 calls them memorial tombs. Jehovah God can replace us with a new body.
  • good myspace
  • make a white substance foamy
  •